On the grounds we have seven buildings filled with artifacts from the surrounding areas:
July 1911, the Railway was opened in Ashern. At first, a box car was used as the “station,” until 1916 when this station was built for $3,100. The first agent was Mr. Brown, followed by Mr. Mayhew, Fred O’Connell, F Delwo, and Mike Began. The station closed in 1975. The Leisure Club purchased the building in 1976 and it was then moved to its present site.
In the station we have a general store; cabinets with wedding and other dresses on display. A board room filled with lots of information in books and pictures.
St. Michael’s Anglican Church
The Anglican Parish in Ashern was founded on April 23, 1911. In 1912, St. Michael’s was built and services began. The first minister was Rev. W. J. Finch. The church closed in the early 1970’s because the congregation was no longer large enough to warrant a minister. In 1977, St. Michael’s was moved to the Museum grounds.
- The Hoffman House
The log house belonged to Gustave & Martha Hoffman. In 1928, they purchased three older houses which had been deserted by their owners, dismantled them and used the materials to build this two storey house. Finished in 1929, the Hoffman family lived in it until 1963, when they sold it to the MacDonald family. The house was later sold to George Bacon of Swan River, and he lived there until his death. His sister awarded the house to the museum where it was restored and moved to its present location in 1982.
There are artifacts from the Glencora Castle also.
- Ashern Post Office
This building was originally a house that was lived in until about 1928. It was chosen to be moved into town and converted into the post office. A horse team was used to skid the building into Ashern in 1931, where it was used until 1949.
In the back of the Post Office, artifacts from a Barber Shop.
- Rural Municipality of Siglunes Office
The R. M. of Siglunes was incorporated in 1917 and began operation in June 1919. Before this office, meetings were held in the Darwin School, and records were kept at the clerk’s home. Council purchased this building in 1931 from G. Peterson, and it was moved into town by the Irwin Brothers. This building was originally a house that Council remodelled to serve as an office and chambers downstairs, and an upstairs suite to be rented out. This office was used until 1963. It was moved to the museum in 1986.
- Darwin School
In 1912, School District Number 1876 was organized, and the same year, Darwin School was built by volunteer labour. It is a one room schoolhouse that held grades 1 through 8. It has a cloakroom and small library. This school was used until 60’s, and was moved to the museum in 1982.
In the back of the school, there are artifacts from the Ashern’s One Box and also a room with Hospital artifacts.
Geisler’s Livery Stable and Lean-to
In the Livery stable we have more artifacts like a flour mill and beet slicer. We also have the threshing machine; McCormick Deering binder; John Deere B tractor, McCormick Deering W K40 tractor in the stable.
In the Lean-to, we have lots of artifacts: a model of Ashern’s town (buildings on streets) in early 1900′ (1930-1940) made and donated by Willie Yanke, displayed on plywood; lots of tools; washing machines; workbench just to name a few.